Coldfusion documentation Flex’ed

On November 29, 2007, in ColdFusion, Flex, by Anuj Gakhar

I have been playing around with this idea of giving a new face to the CF documentation on tags and functions. Whenever I had to search for some tag or function (which I do almost daily), I had to make several clicks before I got to the page. So I decided to play around with this little idea of mine. I put together everything in a Flex app. (http://cfdocs.anujgakhar.com/) . (try in IE for now)
I know there is room for enhancements and features but this is my first step forward towards this project. Any new ideas/features/improvements/critics are welcome and I am keen to make this a really useful tool for fellow developers.

One known issue is, it doesnt load up the online URL in Firefox. I am using IFrame class from Alistair Rutherford which does a really nice job, I just need to work out this Firefox bug.

11 Responses to Coldfusion documentation Flex’ed

1. Patrick Whittingham says:

I get the following error in IE 6 / XP SP 2 on any tag I click on.

line : 255, char : 4,
    top.frames.content.location is null or not an object
    code : 0
    url : http://livedocs.adobe.com/cf/8/htmldocs/tags_a-b_7.html

2. Anuj Gakhar says:

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for letting me know. Did it load the actual URL in the right bottom frame though?

3. Anuj,
    I read about this off Ray Camdens site and checked it out. I’m really digging this flex app for ColdFusion Tags and functions. I too have gone to the livedocs a few times during the day and it seems much easier to use your app then the adobe app. 🙂

4. Anuj Gakhar says:

Hi Alifo, Glad that you liked it. I still need to fix a couple known issues though. well, to be honest, since I built it, I have started using it a lot as well 😉

5. Sam Farmer says:

These docs are awesome. Have you thought of making an AIR version?

6. Anuj Gakhar says:

@Sam, yeah I could if only I had the Flex 3 license on me!

7. Sam Farmer says:

Your Flex 2 license should work with the beta I think?

8. Anuj Gakhar says:

Yeah but its only a 30 day trial which got expired in the first 30 days 🙂

9. Sam Farmer says:

If you send me the source I’ll see what I can do.

10. Alistair says:

Anuj,

To get the display working under Firefox (and IE I believe under windows at least) you will need to add the ‘wmode, opaque’ tags to the flash embedding code in the index-template.html file.

See the examples from my web page.

Alistair.

11. Anuj Gakhar says:

Thanks Alistair for dropping by.

I figured that one out but I think the main problem is how to get rid of top.content.frames JS error while trying to load the page. I so much wish the HtmlControls were part of Flex and not just AIR. 🙂